F9B Pair, Nos. 5762, 5763
and Steam Generator No. 253
As of April 1984
This photo shows the F9 trio leading the eastbound Ski Train in early April 1984. As far as I know, this was the last run of the Ski Train powered by the Fs. This photo was scanned from the negative.
Rio Grande only purchased two F9As and four F9Bs, but they share many details in common with other F-units in the fleet.
|Number Range||Date Purchased||Comments|
|5771, 5774||Sept 1955||5771 was last operating F unit, ran on Rio Grande Zephyr, deadlined 1984. 5774 wrecked 3/1968.|
|5762 - 5763||Sept 1955||Last operating "B" units, ran on Rio Grande Zephyr, deadlined 1984.|
|5772 - 5773||Sept 1955||5772 wrecked 7/1965; 5773 wrecked 3/1968.|
Specific information for individual units may be found on the Rio Grande Modeling & Historical Society's F9 page.
(1) Alco PB-1 locomotive, gutted and
converted to steam generator car No. 253 in 1964. Painted with stacked
"Rio Grande" herald 1968. Circa 1980 lost
its 3-axle trucks and now rides on EMD 2-axle trucks.
(2) Road numbers only on "B" end (the end with the internal steam generator equipment).
(3) Paint wraps around corners about 4" to 6".
(4) Externally-mounted air cooling coil for the airbrake compressor system.
(5) 48" dynamic brake fan, mounted in flat recess in the roof.
(6) Spark arrestors: one on each stack (2).
(7) Steam generator exhaust.
(8) Steam generator vent. Also visible on the trailing "B" unit.
[Back to the Front Door]
© 2004, James R. Griffin. All rights reserved.