SD40T-2 No. 5395
as of November 1991
This right-side view shows a unit from the fifth group of Rio Grande tunnel motors. It was about 13 years old at time of the photo, and still carried most original features (with the addition of the positive traction control system).
Rio Grande's SD40T-2s came in several groups, as shown in this table.
|Number Range||Date Purchased||Comments|
|5341 - 5355||Oct 1974||"Short" (81-inch) nose. (All SD40T-2s were delivered in the billboard "Rio Grande" scheme.)|
|5356 - 5366||July 1975||"Short" nose|
|5367 - 5373||Aug 1975||"Short" nose|
|5374 - 5385||Jan 1977||"Long" (88-inch) nose|
|5386 - 5397||Aug 1978||"Long" nose. Low-nose light mounted in external box.|
|5398 - 5413||Mar 1980||"Long" nose. Leslie horns.|
Specific information for individual units may be found on the Rio Grande Modeling & Historical Society's SD40T-2 page.
(1) Drop step (front only)
(2) Signal light in external box, on 88" nose.
(3) Toilet vent
(4) Leslie P-3 horn.
(5) Original factory numberboards
(6) Small numbers on rear flank
(7) Wheel-slip sensor cables for PTC system
(8) Engine room drainpipe-- right side only
(9) 4000-gallon fuel tank.
(10) Rerail frog. The emergency fuel cutoff switch is the red dot directly above.
(11) Engine air filter
[Back to the Front Door]
© 2004, James R. Griffin. All rights reserved.