GP40-2 No. 3121
As of March 2003
Rio Grande's GP40-2s came in several groups, as shown in this table.
|Number Range||Date Purchased||Comments|
|3094 - 3105||Apr 1972||All GP40-2s delivered in the billboard "Rio Grande" scheme.|
|3106 - 3115||Dec 1972|
|3116 - 3127||Sept 1974|
|3128||Nov 1974||Replaced wrecked GP40 No. 3063.|
|3129 - 3130||1983||Also wreck replacements. Have many updated features similar to EMD's GP50 model.|
Specific information for individual units may be found on the Rio Grande Modeling & Historical Society's GP40-2 page.
(1) Replacement numberboard. The originals had
rounded numerals. Style indicates the change during the SPL era or at an
(2) Horn has been removed from cab (relocated to long hood).
(3) Replacement numberboard. Note the upside-down "5" in place of the "2". Sloppy style hints at a post-UP-merger "effort".
(4) Low-nose lights have been removed, no doubt during the SP era.. This unit has an interesting comment which someone has paint-markered onto the plate.
(5) Class lights still intact.
(6) SP-style ditch lights on front.
[Back to the Front Door]
© 2004, James R. Griffin. All rights reserved.